Thursday, June 18, 2009

An Introduction to the Devout Life


I recently finished this book written by Saint Francis De Sales. It was a wonderful book for any Catholic to read. It brought me closer to my faith and gave wonderful instruction on how to become truly devout.

It is easy to read, being laid out in short chapters.

Addressed almost as a personal letter to Philothea, the "lover of God" -- which genuinely represents the reader -- the book covers:
  • our first desire to lead a devout life to our full resolution to do so
  • how we should approach God in prayer and the Sacraments
  • the practice of 16 important virtues
  • remedies against ordinary temptations
  • becoming confirmed in our practice of devotion.
I was so moved by it that I have every intention on re-reading it in about a year or so. I found his advise and lessons very helpful in my everyday life.

Saint Francis De Sales is one of my favorite Saints. I find him to be genuine and very down to earth. I love reading books by Saints. I usually curl up with a refreshment, light a candle and read......I sometimes read out loud to myself. It makes me feel like good ol' Saint Francis De Sales is right there with me. : )

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations and Good for you. I try to ruminate on this book very slowly and review my life and the events around me. Strong characters like me need St Francis at their side. God bless you in your journey.
    Melvin

    ReplyDelete